Most of the photographs were taken from the Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/. These images are in the Public Domain.
Some images were taken from other websites such as Wikipedia. Many of the images’ copyrights have expired and are now in the Public Domain.
All other images were downloaded and purchased through Shutterstock. http://www.shutterstock.com
Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns?
- Sarah Orne Jewett - Published by Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1894 - Tales of New England by Sarah Orne Jewett (free pdf from archive.org)
- Baroness Orczy - http://www.quotessays.com/gallery/baroness-orczy-1.jpg.html
- Benjamin Jonson -
Benjamin Jonson, after Abraham van Blyenberch. See source website for additional information. This set of images was gathered byUser:Dcoetzee from the National Portrait Gallery, London website using a special tool. All images in this batch have a known author, but have manually examined for strong evidence that the author was dead before 1939, such as approximate death dates, birth dates, floruit dates, and publication dates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Jonson#/media/File:Benjamin_Jonson_by_Abraham_van_Blyenberch.jpg
- Carl Sandburg - Al Ravenna, World Telegram staff photographer- Library of Congress. New York World-Telegram & Sun Collection. http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c15064 "No copyright restriction known. Staff photographer reproduction rights transferred to Library of Congress through Instrument of Gift." See alsohttp://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/076_nyw.html
- Charles Brockden Brown - This image (or other media file) is in thepublic domainbecause its copyright has expired.This applies to Australia, the European Union and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 70 years. Original source:http://dept.kent.edu/ibewebsite/brockden.html Transferred from wikipedia;
- Franny Burney - Original by Edward Francesco Burney (1760-1848) - Doody, Margaret Anne. Frances Burney: The Life in the Works. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 1988.
- George du Maurier – Public Domain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_du_Maurier#/media/File:George_du_Maurier.jpg
- Guy de Maupassant - http://americanliterature.com/author/guy-de-maupassant/bio-books-stories
- Harriet Elizabeth Prescott Spofford – Photography by Brown Brothers, New York. This media file is in thepublic domain in the United States. This applies to U.S. works where the copyright has expired, often because its first publication occurred prior to January 1, 1923. See this page for further explanation.
- Henrik Ibsen – Public Domain. Before 1906. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibsen_Museum_(Oslo)#/media/File:Ibsen_photography.jpg
- Honoré de Balzac - http://theamericanreader.com/13-september-1833-honore-de-balzac-to-ewelina-hanska/
- John Bunyan – Public Domain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bunyan#/media/File:John_Bunyan.jpg
- Henry Ellen Price Wood - From a miniature by Reginald Easton. This media file is in thepublic domain in the United States. This applies to U.S. works where the copyright has expired, often because its first publication occurred prior to January 1, 1923.
- William Makepeace Thackeray - http://thackeray.thefreelibrary.com/
- Tobias Smollett – Public Domain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobias_Smollett#/media/File:Tobias_Smollett_c_1770.jpg
- Upton Sinclair - http://www.uptonsinclairinstitute.com/
- Richard Henry Dana, Jr by Asa B. Eaton – Public Domain. http://npgportraits.si.edu/eMuseumNPG/code/emuseum.asp?rawsearch=ObjectID/,/is/,/4098/,/false/,/false&newprofile=CAP&newstyle=single
- E. W. Mason – Public Domain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._E._W._Mason#/media/File:Alfred_Edward_Woodley_Mason.jpg
- Anita Loos - http://likesuccess.com/author/anita-loos
- Cox Palmer – Public Domain. Portrait of Palmer Cox : FrontispieceFrontier Humor, Chicago: Donohue, Henneberry, c.1900. Scanned and uploaded to bcy.ca/biography/images by Trevor W. McKeown.
- M. Forster - http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/214006/EM-Forster. BBC Hulton Picture Library.
- Edith Wharton - http://lareviewofbooks.org/author/edith-wharton
- Anne Sewell - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=14672280
- Anne Bronte - http://www.poetseers.org/the-great-poets/british-poets/anne-bronte/
- Anthony Trollope - http://therumpus.net/2014/12/war-with-england-anthony-trollopes-controversial-american-christmas/
- Fergus Hume - This image is of Australian origin and is now in the public domain because its term of copyright has expired. According to the Australian Copyright Council (ACC), ACC Information Sheet G023v16 (Duration of copyright) (Feb 2012).
- Mrs. Oliphant - This image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired. This applies to Australia, the European Union and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 70 years.
- Elizabeth Gaskell - Portrait of Elizabeth Gaskell by George Richmond (1851) Scanned by Phrood. Quelle: selbst gescannt 02:45, 6. Jul 2005 Phrood 790 x 1076 (82225 Byte) (Elizabeth Gaskell, gemeinfrei)
- E. F. Benson - from Harper's Weekly - The New York Public Library